Tuesday 27 March 2012

Organising my sewing centre

Hello.

I want to share how I organise my sewing centre with you all. After beginning this post I realised that it would be too long to show you everthing in one post so I will show you bit by bit as I get around to documenting it.

Lets begin...

A few months ago my Oma (German Nan) moved out of her home and into a nursing home. She was a great sewer, not the most technical but was completely capable of making her own clothes and clothes for any who asked. If you can inherit sewing genes then she was the one who I inherited mine from. Unfortunately I didn't spend enough time with her learning all she knew about sewing before she stopped.

Anyway, when she moved, everything in her home had to be cleared out for the house to be sold.  I pretty much got to have all of her sewing supplies (minus the sewing machine and overlocker, which I didn't need anyway)
My Oma was possibly a hoarder, not one of those whose home you cannot walk through, but one who survived the war and never threw away anything that could be used for something.
It was quite amazing finding 5cm pieces of ribbon saved from the packaging of something that is long gone.

Here are a couple of pictures to show some of the small items I received.

Some of the small items which include...

Lots of Lace

Heaps of Zippers, mostly new, some removed from garments

Bias Binding

Trims

Some extremely vintage bands
Along with all of these items I got a mountain of fabric and thread.
I already had one of these containers to hold my thread, but I needed to purchase another to cope with my new load.
Neatly organised by colours


Now to organise all of the ribbon, lace, trim, elastic, velcro, tape etc... I used the largest zip lock bags I could find.




These stack neatly in the cupboard and make it easy to find what you need.


So that is where I will end this post.
I am off to take some more pictures of sewing centre for my next instalment of
"Organising Your Sewing Centre"

Linking up here:


6 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing score! Lucky you. It looks like quite a task organising all those lovely goodies, but lots of fun too! Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! I want everything you have!!!!!!!! Seriously. And I want your talent for sewing .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your thread storage containers, where did you buy them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna. I just bought them from Super Cheap Auto. They were about $15 each. I'm sure you could find them at Bunnings or any other hardware store too.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful 'gift'! Oh, to have that much thread, notions and zippers to chose from.... the vintage items are a treasure! You are quite smart to get it all organized now, and I like your organization ideas.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...